So it turned out to be all worth it in the end. I has Isabella at the GP where her chest was declared pneumonia free and then up to the Rotunda for my "bloods". Roisin met us outside and I was only sitting for seconds before my diabetic midwife (who usually gets a vein instantly) had her first dig around. She got 2ml in one vein before it collapsed and the same on the other arm. At that point, the chief phlebotomist called a halt and rang the anaesthetist-on-call.
He arrived very quickly and went swiftly for the biggest cannula he could find and viciously but accurately got a vein in my hand. Using the vacuum he slowly but surely got the bloods we needed, losing the vein half way (I told him not to use the vacuum - LOL) but finding it again by wiggling the needle. I was a jibbering, snotty, sobbing wreck by the end and there was literally blood everywhere, the walls, the floor, the chair, my hand and arm and the nurses shoes. It was like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The nurses cleaned me all up and gave me a tissue, some wet wipes and one of them gave me a hug. I think it was traumatic for them all. Their treatment of me was a reassuring sign of things to come. They're all pretty damn wonderful really. They promised to rush my bloods through and I got the hell out of there (until my psych appointment next week that is).
With wounded pride and a sore hand, Isabella and Roisin and I had a lovely lazy afternoon of lunch and coffee with fairy cakes. As we were headed home, I got a call from a lovely midwife. They had speeded up my bloods and everything had come back very positive. All my levels are well within range, my iron, liver enzymes, urea, creatinine, blood count - everything.
Not only does this mean that I can immediately start the heparin shots (yay), it also means I have a perfect starting point for the 2nd trimester. The news was the boost I really needed. These are the test results they never had last time as my consultant was an idiot. If anything goes wrong now, they'll know straight away and be able to help ASAP.
What a huge relief. Huge. Almost worth the yucky stuff. Only almost tho!!
No comments:
Post a Comment