Today was D-Day. I rang the diabetes nurse in Beaumont yesterday and she was over the moon about my pregnancy. I went through all my levels with her and she was really impressed and impressed on me that I was doing better than anyone else she'd heard of at my stage. It gave me a big of a boost of confidence that was badly needed.
So, with Gordon by my side, I faced my first call. The nurse on the other end was lovely - seemed impressed by my 6.9% A1c and made an appointment for me for next Tuesday 15th. She called me back a couple of hours later and asked for the last 4 days of diabetes control. I painstakingly went through all my levels, explaining about ratios and carbs and bolus' and basals. She said she'd talk to the endocrinologist and get back to me. I was dreading the call that told me to change this or that and was in a bit of a state.
While I was sitting feeling sorry for myself and heading straight into a major grump, my lovely friend Eugenie arrived at my door with and Ikea present and a request for carbs. The visit hugely cheered me up so I got my shit together and me and Isabella went into town to get me some maternity clothes. I'm only 8wks tomorrow but jaysus, I've a belly on me. Trousers are NOT comfortable and I only had a couple of dresses. New Look did me proud and I came home with two dresses, a top and leggings. Sweet.
The best of the day was getting a call from that lovely nurse again. She said that she'd spoken to the Endo and he was "delighted" with my levels. He said I am to continue making my own adjustments and calculations. They'll see me on Tuesday but its not urgent as I "clearly know what I'm doing". I did a bit of a dance on O'Connell Street - Isabella wasn't impressed. LOL!!
So, yep, I won my first round. I'm over the moon and feel like a huge weight has been lifted. Its only 5 days until I have my first appointment so I have a chance to relax into knowing I'm doing ok. This confidence is a new found feeling. I'm a bit unsure still!
Proud of you x
ReplyDeleteIts all good ;)
ReplyDeleteYESSSSSS well done x
ReplyDelete